Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ancestry Library, Heritage Quest and Sanborn Maps

Wow!  I could get lost in time in some of these databases and I did for a while! I have used the ancestry ones before. I had better luck with the Ancestry Library than Heritage Quest with my surname and spent quite a bit of time looking up relatives and ancestors from Germany. Then I couldn't find anything on Heritage Quest but when I switched to my mother's maiden name I found quite a bit again, so now I will have to continue with that when I have more time!

With the Sanborn maps I looked up a few places in Sioux Falls and Madison. Because I'm not from South Dakota and have only live here a short while I'm not real familiar yet with the state. It was still fun to explore the past.

I just noticed the photos and maps link an AncestryLibrary so I hunted again for pictures and downloaded two that I have to ask my dad about to see what connection there is. Very cool, but I must now return to other tasks!

1 comment:

  1. Jo, you show a lot of willpower being able to drag yourself away from these resources! :) They are really fun and informational--and may turn us all into genealogists yet! Thanks for your comments and happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete